Recipe Of The Week: Buffalo Mac and Cheese
Long holiday weekends are usually the best time for a BBQ. If you are debating what to bring to a bbq this weekend, Spicy Southern Kitchen has got you covered! This week’s recipe is their version of Buffalo Mac and Cheese that serves the perfect zesty and spicy side dish for any bbq!
Prep Time: 8 mins
Cook Time: 12 mins
Total Time: 22 mins
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a stovetop mac and cheese that is super creamy and spicy. Shredded cooked chicken gets mixed in making this a one dish meal. Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles, green onions, and more hot sauce on top for extra flavor.
- 8 ounces uncooked macaroni pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dry mustard.
- Once thickened, turn heat to low and add cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Stir in sour cream and hot sauce.
- Stir in macaroni, chicken and blue cheese. Sprinkle with green onions.
Spicy Southern Kitchen’s Tips for making Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese:
- Use a rotisserie chicken for ease and convenience.
- Pretty much any shape of pasta can be used. Penne and shells work well.
- If you want it to be extra spicy, up the hot sauce from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup and serve with extra hot sauce.
- I use Frank’s Hot Sauce, but you could use a different sauce.